Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sobriety = a happy Molly


S came home sober last night. I couldn't ask for any more than that. He's going to a pharmopsychologist (sp?) in a couple weeks. She'll be able to prescribe meds for the alcoholism. Most addicts also suffer from comorbidity, which means they usually suffer from another mental health disorder such as depression. Addicts have generally self-medicated their whole lives. My man has depressive tendencies, so hopefully she'll be able to address both issues.
"Co-occuring mental disorders and drug addiction appear to be the rule rather than the exception." Nora Volkow of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
But I'm afraid he thinks her prescriptions will be miracle pills. But they will only be part of the solution. Behavioral therapy is also necessary to get this disease under control, and in the past three years he has not been able to connect with AA.
More to come. For now, I beautiful late summer day on the boat with my man. I do love him so.

No comments: